Best Ice Fishing Gloves
I find it extremely important that having the proper gear is a must when going on an ice fishing expedition. Knowing which are the best ice fishing gloves available on the market today is a substantial advantage. Ice fishing is considered as one of the trickiest activities out there.
As a qualified angler, making sure I have the best quality of gloves for ice fishing is critical not only for safety reasons but also convenience even through the harsh environment. Common threats such as getting frostbite and reduced blood circulation to the limbs can be prevented if you have high-quality fishing gloves.
This will also make the whole activity easier and contribute to maximizing your fishing performance. However, with all the ice fishing gloves available in the market today, finding the best is a challenge. In this article, I will share my thoughts about the best ice fishing gloves and also impart tips on what to consider when choosing the one for you.
Top Five Ice Fishing Gloves On The Market Today
- 100% Waterproof
- 2MM Fleece Lined Neoprene
- Seamless Palm Design
- Blind Stitched & Glued
- Sharkskin Textured Palm
One of the strong contenders when it comes to the best ice fishing gloves is the Glacier Glove Aleutian. It is designed to keep your hands warm and dry during your fishing expedition.
Made from a blend of 90 percent neoprene and 10 percent nylon, the Glacier Glove Aleutian is formidably waterproof. To ensure its durability, it is blind-stitched and glued. Considered and known for its durability, it is also considered to have an all-weather protection feature.
The premium quality Glacier Glove Aleutian is explicitly designed for wet and cold conditions which will make ice fishing a straightforward task to accomplish. Made from neoprene fleece that provides perfect insulation to keep your hands and fingers warm.
What We Liked
What We Didn’t Like
- Unique Design: You can take off the thumb and forefinger glove cover when you need to operate your fishing hook or fishing bait with your thumb and forefinger, you can also unlock your phone without removing your gloves; The gloves stop blisters, calluses and protects while rafting, canoeing, biking, running, shooting, hiking, cycling, paddling and outdoor sporting activities, particularly watersports
- Comfortable Fabric: The front fabric of gloves is made of PU, breathable and comfortable; The back fabric of gloves is made of neoprene, excellent scratch-proof performance and sun protection
- Excellent Performance: Soft material allow you create any kinds of hands gestures with at will; The front of the glove has a skidproof coating that allow your fish can't run away from your hands anymore
- Adjustable Gloves: Built-in invisible elastic band and you can adjust the Velcro wrist strap ensure the glove don't off from your hands
- MEASURES: Total length 22cm / 8.8 inch, Width 10cm / 4.0 inch, Longest finger length 9cm / 3.6 inch
With its uniques design, the POSA 2 Cut Fingers Fishing Gloves allows you to take off the thumb and forefinger cover. This grants you the freedom to operate the fishing hook and bait. This also allows you to operate your phone without removing the glove.
Despite this distinctive feature, it does not compromise keeping your hands and finger perfectly warm. It is made from neoprene which guarantees great insulation as well as durability.
While the use of soft materials allows dexterity and provides room for any kind of hand movements. The POSA 2 Cut Fingers Fishing Gloves features a skidproof coating front for better grip or fish handling.
What We Liked
What We Didn’t Like
- TOUCHSCREEN FINGER TIPS allow you to answer calls while keeping your gloves on. But let's be honest, these are still winter gloves, so NO you will not be able to have texting conversations with your girlfriends on them - enjoy the nature you are in and get off your phone.
- WATERPROOF - We are talking stick your hand in the water, your hand ain't getting wet waterproof. So go ahead stick your hand in that ice hole and pull up that beast of a walleye. Or shred that powder with these skiing gloves, because your hands will stay dry.
- RUGGED CONSTRUCTION - First we take a Cordura nylon shell (none of that thin nylon crap that rips your first use), then we put a hipora liner(this is what makes it waterproof, it is basically Gore-Tex) then we have 70g of 3M Thinsulate and foam insulation(gotta keep those mitts toasty) and then a soft fleece inner liner (so soft you won't want to take them off and remember you don't have to because you can answer your phone with these babies on).
- STORAGE - You can't ever have enough pockets, so we put pockets on the back of the gloves. These pockets are big enough for a credit card, a hand warmer or your key. We put a water resistant zipper to help keep the pockets dry. But if you have one of those fancy electronic key fobs, don't keep it in there and go stick your hand underwater for a while, because you will probably ruin it. So go ski in that -20, put a hand warmer in your gloves and have fun.
- AMERICAN COMPANY, DESIGNED IN MINNESOTA - With a headquarters in Minnesota and warehouse in Michigan, we know cold, wet winters. We designed these gloves for all the great outdoor activities that take place in the winter and for the less fun ones (I mean who really likes to shovel?). We stand 100% behind our products and if you have any problems or questions, please call or email us feeling confident you will reach a real person in the US.
Another strong contender is the Rugged Waterproof Winter Gloves features a touchscreen fingertip that allows you to use your phone without taking off the gloves. It is also fully waterproof which guarantees your hands and fingers stay dry all throughout your fishing expedition.
You can even stick your hand in the water wearing this glove and your hands will stay dry. Fully insulated with a Cordura nylon shell, then lined with hipora and 70 grams of Thinsulate, The Rugged Waterproof Winter Gloves ensures optimum warmth all throughout your fishing activity.
The Rugged Waterproof Winter Gloves does not fall short in terms of comfort since it also has soft fleece for its inner lining. It also has a wide cuff, a wrist tensioner, and is elastic is the wrist section for a perfect fit feel. Best of all, it has unisex sizing, fully waterproof, and also sports built-in pockets.
What We Liked
What We Didn’t Like
- Patented OutDry membrane for true submersion waterproofness
- Wind resistant yet extremely breathable
- 4-way stretch construction for a snug comfortable fit
- Thin anatomical cut for maximum feel and dexterity
- Grippy rubberized fingers and palm for equipment control
Meanwhile, Kast Steelhead Gloves offers maximum dexterity feature with its thin anatomical cut design. When doing any fishing activities, having fully functional and agile hands is important.
With its thin anatomical design, you are allowed to have more movement while still keeping the comfort and warmth. Plus, the Kast Steelhead Gloves sports a full finger design that allows optimal hand and finger movements.
It provides a breathable outer layer and a fleece lining on the inside for sufficient insulation. It’s Patented OutDry technology makes it 100 percent waterproof and windproof.
What We Liked
What We Didn’t Like
- Made from 2 layers of breathable, waterproof IceTech material
- 150-grams of Thinsulate Insulation
- Forearm length for extra protection
- Sealable to keep snow out
- Size XL / Color Black
Last but definitely not the least is the Ice Armor 8524. The Ice Armor 8524 is considered as one of the most popular brands on the market currently. Equipped with two layers of IceTech material and 150 grams of Thinsulate to achieve the optimum insulation.
This feature is best to keep your hands warm during your fishing adventure. The breathable IceTech also provides comfort even in the extremely frigid weather. When it comes to bringing comfort while adhering to the main functionality of the best ice fishing glove, the Ice Armor 8524 does not disappoint.
An extended and sealable forearm for additional protection on the wrist is also offered by the Ice Armor 8524. Packed with high-quality material plus remarkable features and functionality, the Ice Armor certainly know how to leave a lasting impression.
What We Liked
What We Didn’t Like
Things To Consider When Choosing The Best Ice Fishing Gloves
Of course, the first thing you need to consider is the correct size of the fishing gloves. It has to be the precise fit for you to be able to perform accurately during your ice fishing expedition. To know your size, check it here:
2. Warmth and Insulation
Considering the harsh environment you will be in during ice fishing, a pair of gloves that have warmth and sufficient insulation is important. To make sure your hands will be safe from frostbite, choose fishing gloves that are made from competent materials like nylon, neoprene, Thinsulate or fleece.
During extremely cold weather, warmth is withdrawn from the limbs to keep your core temperature where the vital organs are at an optimal level to function efficiently. Prolonged exposure to cold can lessen blood circulation in your hands and in turn make it less able.
This can greatly influence your ability to accomplish your task during your fishing trip. Make sure to pick out a fishing glove that has 40 grams or more Thinsulate material.
Hand movement is an utmost importance in a fishing activity. Being able to move your hand and fingers as comfortable as possible depends on which fishing glove you choose. To keep the full functionality of your hands, at the same time keeping it warm, look for a fishing glove that will allow you to bend and move your fingers.
Exposure to cold water is a given during fishing expeditions. However, this also means it is possible for you to get frostbite or less functionality in your hand and fingers. Competent hands are critical to any fishing activity. To prevent this from happening, look for a fishing glove that is waterproof.
Another vital factor to consider is durability. Making sure that your fishing gloves do not tear up while on your fishing trip is important. Fishing gloves with double stitching, sufficient layering, and created from neoprene, Cordura nylon or kevlar indicates high-quality construction of the product.
Ice Fishing Tips And Tricks You Need To Know
As a bonus, I will now share with you a few tips and tricks when it comes to ice fishing.
1. Mind the depth
During the winter season, fishes usually stay at a specific depth. Knowing this will give you the upper hand and make it easier to spot them. If you are a beginner, doing a bit research about this will go a long way.
2. Go slow and steady
Fishes conserve their energy by not moving too much during the cold season. Avoid moving your bait too fast and go slow and steady instead. There is a tendency for the fish to let go of the bait for them to save energy.
3. Food in the hole
Although some of the fishes will avoid exerting too much energy, they are still attracted other feeding fishes. A perfect trick in luring them is putting a significant amount of bait or food in the fishing hole. To put them into a feeding frenzy, grind up some minnows or waxworm.
4. Know more about hypothermia
Harsh, cold weather can cause serious injuries, accidents or worst can lead to death. Hypothermia is known to be the leading cause of death related to ice fishing activities. As a safety precaution, it is vital that you familiarize yourself with how Hypothermia occurs and how to treat it.
You must know the essential things to do if a fellow angler falls into the water. Keep in mind that the golden hour for the patient should be no longer than 20 minutes. Be sure to have a phone available for emergency calls. Pack an extra set of winter clothing, blankets, and hot packs.
(Tip: If in case the patient falls unconscious and is not breathing, administer CPR immediately. This will keep the blood circulation going and prevent respiratory failure.)
With the information I have shared in this article, it is evident that these products are the best among the ice fishing gloves available in the market now. I have also provided you with some important pointers to look into when choosing the perfect fishing gloves for you.
Ultimately, the best product I can recommend is the Rugged Waterproof Winter Gloves. With its distinctive features like the touch screen fingertips, built-in pockets, and wrist tensioner among others, the Rugged Waterproof Winter Glove offers more than what is usually expected.
Moreover, it also adhered to the essentials such us the waterproofing feature, impeccable insulation, comfort, and durability. This product is nothing short of the ultimate when it comes to fishing gloves.
Be that as it may, you now have the knowledge of what to look for to spot the best ice fishing gloves for yourself. Taking into consideration all the tips I have shared, you can now make a decision on which product to purchase.
Did you like this post? Did you have any other questions in mind? Did you find this article helpful in narrowing down the best ice fishing gloves in the market? If you have anything to add or share, please feel free to sound them off in the comment section below. Until then, enjoy your upcoming ice fishing adventure with your new gloves!